Dear Prospective Emmaus Family,
Greetings to you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! It is my pleasure to be able to assist you in the very important process of finding the right school for your child. Emmaus Lutheran, established in 1941, has been in its present, six-acre campus since 1950. We are proud of our reputation of high quality Christian education, caring teachers, and family-friendly atmosphere throughout Alhambra and outlying areas.
Here are just a few things that make Emmaus great!
1. Quality teachers make for a quality program, and I am very pleased and honored to work with this veteran staff. Our teachers are dedicated to personal care for each child in their class, individualizing curriculum to meet the needs of the child, and always looking for ways to help their students raise their self esteem, grow spiritually and academically, and become well-rounded individuals.
2. Emmaus Lutheran School is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the National Lutheran Schools Accreditation (NLSA). In Summer 2014 Emmaus was granted another six-year term(6R) from both of its accrediting agencies. Accreditation is an ongoing process that allows Emmaus to maintain its high standards of education. We will be having our next six-year review in fall 2020, and it is anticipated that this will go very well. Student learning is the main focus of the accreditation process. Progress is reported annually to the school community and to the accrediting agencies.
3. Technology is a major focus at Emmaus Lutheran School. There are interactive white boards in all of our classrooms, as well as internet access in all rooms. We are also excited about our four rolling lap top carts and Chromebook carts, used by all grades. We are a Google Classroom school. “Beyond Technology” is providing a technology curriculum for Kindergarten through Grade 8. Beyond Technology will provide a teacher who will integrate current classroom curriculum with what will be taught in the lab. Check out their website at www.beyondteched.com. In grades 6-8, we are using high school curriculum from Beyond Technology. Students in grade 6 learn about design media creating their own photo journals while studying Ancient Civilization.
4. Our Extended Day Care (EDC) offers parents before and after school care from 7:00 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. Our EDC program provides well-trained staff to work with each grade level to aid with homework, learn through structured activities and enrichment courses, such as sports, games, crafts,cooking, and other activities.
5. We offer several extra curricular opportunities to enhance your child’s educational experience, allowing each child to determine what his or her talents are. Currently offered are robotics, piano, tennis, archery and chess. These classes are after school and do have an additional fee for each. There is also an after-school tutoring program, with teachers who help daily in a small group setting, and just recently added, a math tutor available for an hour three times each week to answer math, Algebra and Geometry questions. In our upper grades (grades 5-8) there are sports teams (volleyball,football, basketball, track and tennis), hand bells, choir, worship dancing, student government and cheer leading. Our average student is involved in at least six different activities and still maintaining a high GPA!
6. We are known for our family-friendly atmosphere, and offer several opportunities throughout the year for families to come and fellowship with each other and spend time together. You would be considered an important member of our family.
7. We are very proud of our alumni. Emmaus Lutheran School has a long history of students who graduate and attend the high school and colleges of their choice. We are proud to have had several students in the past few years graduate as Valedictorians of their high school graduating classes. Currently, we have several alums in the U.C. and Cal State systems, one at Julliard and one at MIT and Johns Hopkins University. Our eighth grade teacher is an Emmaus graduate as well!
8. Emmaus has developed an international program. Given permission from the Department of Homeland Security, Emmaus is able to issue the Form I-20 in order for international students to obtain an F-1 Student Visa. Students in our program are integrated into our day school program, giving the opportunity for students to learn English and the quality of education that Emmaus is known for throughout the San Gabriel Valley and beyond. International students are integrated into the regular education classes, but also attend an ELL class to aid with their English language development. If you are interested in our international program, please allow six to eight weeks for the I-20 process.
I encourage you to immediately take the time to fill out the application form and make an appointment for your child to be screened. At this time we will also provide you with a registration packet. Please return the forms to the school office as soon as possible in order to expedite the registration process and ensure your child a spot for the upcoming year.
I would be happy to sit down with you and answer all of your questions, and to show you are campus and facility.
Having two children myself, I know how important it is to make good decisions for your child, and how important it is to choose the right school.
I am confident that Emmaus was the right school for my children, and I anticipate that it is also the right place for yours. Thank you for considering Emmaus, and I look forward to partnering with you throughout the educational journey of your child.
Kit Hittinger, Principal